The Newtown Festival is back for 2013 and this year, it is turning 35!
Not only will there performers on stage, a writers tent, a dog show, a kids zone, a bike zone, an eco zone and a funky garage sales, but… the Newtown Festival is the principal fundraiser for the Newtown Neighbourhood Centre (NNC) which aims to build an inclusive, resilient, self-reliant and creative community.
All monies raised by the Festival are returned to the Centre to provide community support services to the local community and in particular the disadvantaged groups such as the aged, people with disabilities, people who are homeless, people with mental illness, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and people on low incomes.
Don’t miss all the best bits – there will be:
- 3 stages with live music & performances throughout the day
- Kids Zone with kids yoga, puppet shows, wild & whacky creatures, live entertainment, inflatables & craft workshops
- Writer’s Stage with some of the best local and national writing talent
- Eco Zone where you can get tips on how to reduce your impact on the environment which includes mini gardening demonstrations & creative workshops
- Dog Show where dog (and owner) can participate in all sorts of doggie competitions such as doggie dashes, look-a-like owners, Best in Show.
- Bike Boulevarde is the place to go to get practical & innovative information about cycling
- 250+ market stalls and food stalls offering international cuisines
Here are some handy tips for the day:
- Keep this important community festival alive – donate generously at the festival gates. All donations go directly to Newtown Neighbourhood Centre services – your donation goes a long way to building a resilient community.
- NO BYO – onsite bars available.
- No entry to the festival after 5pm.
- No onsite sales of bottled water – we’re passionate about sustainability, so please help by bringing your own water bottles or purchase a bottle from the Festival info stall. Take the pledge to drink tap today.
- In the event of light rain the festival will still go ahead, bring a rain jacket.
- Please respect our park neighbours and our community – leave the site safely and orderly and please keep our streets clean by putting your rubbish in appropriate bins before you leave the festival site.
- Drink plenty of water, eat food and minimise sun exposure!
BTW, bottled water will not be sold at the event to make a stand against the commercialisation of water and massive plastic bottle waste. So, if you are attending this festival, make sure you bring your own refillable water bottle as there will be free water refill stations available on-site.
DATE: Sunday, 10th November 2013
TIME: 9.30am to 5.30pm
VENUE: Camperdown Memorial Rest Park, Australia Street, Newtown. Newtown is an inner-city suburb of Sydney located about 4 kilometres south-west of the Sydney CBD.
GETTING THERE: The best way to get there is to catch a train and alight at Newtown station. The festival venue is just a short walk away. For other public transport info, call the Transport Infoline on 131 500 or check their website on www.131500.com.au
ENTRY FEE: Note or gold coin donation
MORE INFO: Call 9564 7333, email: email@example.com or go to the website: http://www.newtowncentre.org/festival/index.html
To access festival posters and the program, check out this out.
To access the festival map, check out our Maps page.
Images from here
Love, Festival Girl